This is a recipe that’s been adapted from one found on the Quaker Oats canister. They’ve been veganized and made healthier by reducing the amount of sugar and including flax, chia, and hemp seeds. I call them healthy(ish) because, while they do include several good ingredients, there’s still a fair amount of sugar.
These cookies are highly addictive. I don’t typically eat a lot of sugary foods, so the addict in me tends to come out when I do. Case in point, I made a batch a few weeks back and ate 3 dozen throughout the course of a day. I think these would freeze pretty nicely, but I wouldn’t know since they rarely last beyond a day or two.
Prepare your flax eggs by combining 2 tablespoons of ground flax with 5 tablespoons of water. Stir well and let sit for about 5 minutes. The mixture will start to thicken and have an egg-like stickiness. Alternatively, Energ-G Egg Replacer also works well if you happen to have it on hand.
In a large bowl, combine 6 tablespoons (1 stick) of softened Earth Balance butter with (or coconut oil) 1 cup brown sugar. Beat to a creamy consistency with a hand mixer. Incorporate flax eggs and vanilla into the mixture. Add in flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well. Stir in oats, raisins, chia, and hemp seeds. The dough will be very stiff!
Drop dough by heaping tablespoon onto parchment lined baking sheets. Since the dough won’t rise much, I like to flatten the dough with a fork before placing them in the oven. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool completely before devouring.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) vegan butter or coconut oil, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 flax eggs or ener-G egg replacer
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 tbsp. hemp seeds
- 1. Preheat oven to 350º. If using flax eggs, mix together and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- 2. In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to combine butter and sugar until creamy.
- 3. Incorporate eggs and vanilla.
- 4. Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well.
- 5. Add oats, raisins, chia, and hemp seeds. Dough will be very stiff.
- 6. Drop dough by the heaping tablespoon onto parchment lined baking sheets.
- 7. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Cool completely, Makes roughly 4 dozen cookies.