This week I thought I’d incorporate a product review with a recipe. I really enjoy Butler Soy Curls. A few years back I ordered some from Amazon and enjoyed cooking with them. A week or so ago, I rediscovered them again while perusing the shelves of a small, local vegan grocery store. They’re dehydrated curly strips made entirely from soy beans. All you have to do is reconstitute them and then utilize in whatever way you deem fit
The soy curls are quick and easy to use. They also have a chewy consistency that creates a perfect analog for meat. The recipe below has 2 main components: bbq sauce and coleslaw . Make your own sauce or purchase a bottle from the store – either works fine. Cabbage can be purchased pre-shredded or buy the heads and shred your own. This is a great meal to whip up when you’re in a hurry or not in the mood to do a lot of cooking.
Measure about 2 cups of soy curls into a bowl. Cover with water and allow to rehydrate for about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside. Thinly shred the cabbage and other vegetables and combine in a large bowl. I used about half red and half green. Combine together the vegan mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, pepper and salt in a another bowl. Pour over cabbage and mix well. Taste and and add seasoning as needed.
Add 1 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan and bring to medium heat. Add in the drained soy curl and allow to brown on all sides for about 10 minutes, stirring periodically. Turn the heat down and pour in about 1/2 cup of bbq sauce. Add more or less depending on your preferences. At this point I like to turn off the heat and allow the curls to continue cook but not dry out.
I like my bun a little crispy so I typically place it under the broiler on a high setting for a minute or so until it’s nice and golden brown. Watch carefully though as it can burn very quickly. Heap a good portion of the curls onto the bun and top with the coleslaw. I ate mine with a side fries and a chili lime garlic aioli. Enjoy!
- 2 cups Butler Soy Curls
- 1/2 cup bbq sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Sandwich rolls
- 1 pound red and green cabbage, finely shredded
- 1-2 carrots, grated
- 2 green onions, fine chopped
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper, at least
- 1 dash salt
- 1. Place soy curls in a large bowl and allow to rehydrate for 10 minutes.
- 2. Drain and set aside.
- 3. Combine cabbage, carrots, and green onions in a large bowl.
- 4. In a separate bowl, mix together vegan mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, pepper and salt.
- 5. Add dressing to cabbage mixture. Mix well and set aside.
- 6. Bring olive oil to medium heat in a frying pan. Add drained soy curls to pan and sauté until they brown on all sides.
- 7. Turn down heat and pour bbq sauce onto soy curls. Throughly incorporate.
- 8. Place buns under broiler until they're golden brown and crispy. Heap soy curls onto bun and top with coleslaw. Enjoy.